We’ve sent D1 schools’ capital requests to the School Construction Authority. Please join us at our January 25th calendar meeting for a presentation by the SCA on the capital plan amendment and a public comment opportunity (Agenda).
* Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 6:00pm
* PS 20 (166 Essex St.)
* Refreshments and childcare will be provided. Please RSVP for childcare to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resolution Opposing DeVos as Secretary of Education
CEC1 passed a resolution opposing the nomination of Betsy DeVos as U.S. Secretary of Education. Thanks to CEC3 for the language of this resolution, which explains that DeVos is profoundly unqualified for the job of supporting the nation’s public schools. Check out Senator Elizabeth Warren’s letter to DeVos for more details, and the Times‘ “Big Worries About Betsy DeVos.”
Public Meeting: Two Bridges
Share concerns about the public input process surrounding new housing developments on the Lower East Side. A public meeting about the Environmental Review Process for three new developments in Two Bridges will be hosted by JDS Development Group, Starrett Development Group, and Two Bridges Associates:
* Wednesday, January 18, 2017 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
* Shuang Wen School (PS 184: 327 Cherry St.)
* Food will be provided. Cantonese, Mandarin, and Spanish translation will be available. (See flyer in Spanish and Chinese and twobridgeseis.com).
Middle school principal and author of The Tyranny of Standardized Testing and Holistic Schools will speak on January 23, 2017 at 6:30pm at The Neighborhood School (121 E. 3rd St.).
Kindergarten Applications are due Friday, January 13. You can apply online, over the phone, or in person at 333 Seventh Avenue. Check out the District 1 Kindergarten Directory. The DoE also provides the links below for help with the application process.
* Online Application
* Website (information and resources about Kindergarten Admissions)
* Email (the Kindergarten Admissions email list to get the latest updates and key date reminders)
* Phone: 718-935-2009 (for questions about Kindergarten Admissions).